Tuesday 17 May 2011

Patisserie Valerie


Today is 17th of May (The Norwegian National Day), and as I had failed to do any sort of baking I decided to go past PatisserieValerie while I was in town this morning. They have the most amazingly tempting shop window, with each cake on display more tempting than the last one. The patisserie opened in York earlier this spring, and so far I had managed not to go in (trying to watch the waist-line) but today seemed like a perfect reason to finally try it out.


As I stepped into the shop I was cheerfully greeted by one of the shop assistants. I eventually, after a lot of dithering, made my choice and watched as my cake selection was carefully placed in pretty cardboard boxes. It was with great anticipation of a feast that I cycled home with my catch carefully placed in my front basket. Somehow I managed to get home without the cakes collapsing or falling apart, quite an achievement on a bumpy road. And what a feast it was. I had to try one of the cakes there and then; a cream filled doughnut. It was nothing like what you buy in the shops, there was no grease or dry corners, no feeling of my arteries clogging up. Instead it was a moist and delicate bun, with a delicious creamy custard cream filling, and with icing on top. Perfection.

Sadly I couldn’t eat all the cakes myself, so I have saved the rest to be shared with friends later. And I have to say that I am very much looking forward to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment