Wednesday 9 November 2011

Sweetcorn Fritters

I was going to make pancakes, but then I realised that I really fancied something savoury instead. Having already laid out the ingredients for pancakes, and feeling very lazy, I decided to just modify my selection rather than think of something completely different. I found some tinned sweetcorn, and so savoury fritters it was.
I had these for my dinner, with steamed vegetables and a sweet thai chilli dipping sauce. But I think they would also work very well as part of a Full English Breakfast; with scrambled eggs, baked beans and fried mushrooms. Yum.

Makes 12 fritters



100g soya flour
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon turmeric
1 ½ teaspoon oregano
100g tinned sweetcorn
40g leeks
30g red romano pepper
50ml double cream
150ml whole milk
2 teaspoons garlic infused olive oil
2 eggs
1 mild chilli
a pinch of salt
oil for frying

Mix the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and turmeric, and sift these into a large bowl. Add the oregano and stir. Add the sweetcorn, finely slice the leek and pepper, and add these to the mixture as well. Mix the cream, milk, oil and eggs in a separate jug, and pour them into the mixture. Finely chop the chilli and add to the mixture, and finally add a pinch of salt.

The mixture should now be a gooey batter. Add oil to your frying pan and warm it up. Use a tablespoon to add little dollops of batter and fry them on medium to low heat. As when you make small pancakes, turn them over after a few minutes, to fry the other side once they look like the bottom side is done. Do a few at a time, as many as your frying pan will allow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment