Friday 29 April 2011

Raspberry Jam

A few days ago my local shop had raspberries on offer, so I bought a few punnets. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with them, but buying some seemed like a good idea. I’ve been looking at them for some days, wondering what to make, and last night I decided it would be jam. I’m trying not to eat too much processed sugar these days, so thought it would be a good idea to use honey instead of sugar, and it actually worked really well. Sugar normally works like a preserving agent, so this jam probably won’t last very long (maybe only a month), and should be kept in the fridge. Sugar also normally helps to set the jam, so I’m using agar flakes instead.

Makes 1 jar of jam



250g raspberries
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon agar flakes
1 teaspoon honey

Place your raspberries in a wide pan over moderate heat. A wide pan ensures that all the berries get warmed up quickly, and so your jam is quicker to make, and tastes fresher. Add 2 tablespoons honey and the agar flakes, and mix well. Carefully crush some of the berries to release some liquid. Bring it up to the boil, and boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the teaspoon of honey, mix, and add to a sterilised jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment