Tuesday 2 April 2013

Eat & Drink for £1 a day - 28 Day Challenge - Day 22

First day of the last week. That's today. It's not like I'm suffering, but I'm getting  a little bit bored. There's enough food, and it's healthy, but there just isn't much in the way of choice. And I can't just spontaneously make a cake or pancakes or some other exciting thing, because my budget didn't cover those ingredients. Normally I would use some of the things I keep stocked in my larder as well as what my shopping brought in that week, but not these last few weeks.

I'll stop moaning now, because it is a new week, and that means a new shopping basket, and so at least there is a little bit of variation from last week. This week's shopping came to a total of £6.99, 1 penny under budget. What I got was:


1 bag of onions (1kg)
1 bag of potatoes (750g)
1 bag of frozen peas (900g)
3 tins of chopped tomatoes (400g)
1 tin of sliced mushrooms (290g)
4 oranges
7 apples
1 lemon
1 small swede
½ white cabbage

1 tin of borlotti beans (300g)
1 tin of  pinto beans (300g)
1 tin of baked beans (410g)


I wasn't very hungry this morning, so subsisted on water until I had an early lunch of leftovers from yesterday.  There's enough for another portion left, so that takes care of lunch tomorrow as well. In the afternoon I had an apple, before it was dinner time and I had a lovely stew served with rice and a drizzle of fresh lemon juice. I even had a starter today; half an avocado, some courgette and some tomatoes with a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Delicious.


If you would like to help by sponsoring the clean water project in Meru, Kenya, please go to  http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=stopcocks

No comments:

Post a Comment