Wednesday 17 April 2013

Eat & Drink for £1 a day (£7 a week) - 28 Day Challenge - Lessons Learnt

It's now over a week since the end of the challenge, and I've enjoyed the freedom of choice and flavour every day. So what, if anything, did I learn from my challenge? Well, for a starter I'm glad I don't have to permanently live below the poverty line. It is seriously pants.

I did have enough food, but the weekly shopping had to be done carefully to make sure there was both enough to eat and also some variety in vitamins and proteins, while staying within budget. And once I had done the weekly shopping there was no adding to it for another seven days even if I got a craving or ran out of something.

There were some days when I went to bed hungry, not because there wasn't enough food, but because I couldn't be bothered with eating the food I had in the house.

There were things I had to go without, such as my lovely herbs, spices, oils and tea. Over the years I have built up an extensive stock of spices, oils and vinegars that I use in my cooking. They are replaced as and when needed and most weeks I don't have to spend any money on them, but during the challenge I couldn't use them at all, and I really missed them. I also have a good selection of herbal teas, none of which could be used during the challenge and were much missed.

Being gluten intolerant I couldn't afford bread, flour or pasta, because the gluten free stuff is really expensive, so pasta was one of the first things I had after the challenge ended. I've also done some baking since the end of the challenge, just because I could.

You'd think that on a restricted diet like this I would have lost a lot of weight, but no. Apart from the restrictions in variety, this diet wasn't radically different to what I normally eat, with plenty calories, proteins and carbohydrates.

I'm not sure yet what sort of lasting effect this challenge will have on my eating habits. I may be more imaginative when shopping and planning my meals, I've certainly been more reluctant to spend lots of money on food this last week since the end of the challenge.

I've seen that it is possible to live on a very cheap diet, but it is not something I would wish on anyone. While you can survive perfectly well, there is no room for spontaneity or little treats. There's no extra money for meeting your friends for a coffee in town, or a bag of crisps if you get hungry while out and about. Everything has to be planned and prepared for in advance.

Please help by sponsoring the clean water project for the orphanage Kithoka in Meru, Kenya, http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=stopcocks









No comments:

Post a Comment