Tuesday 26 March 2013

Eat & Drink for £1 a day - 28 Day Challenge - Day 15

I have to admit that I'm getting a little bored now with having not much of a free choice of food. But I said I'd do it for 4 weeks, and I'm a day past half-way, so I'd better keep going.

I've done my shopping for the next week, and this week I've gone for fresh food only. All in all it cost me £7.12, the 12 pence coming from my leftover funds of 20 pence from the first week. What I got was:

2 red peppers
1 pack of cherry tomatoes (400g)
3 courgettes
6 bananas
6 apples
4 small avocados
1 pack of carrots (400g)
1 pack of dried mixed herbs (18g)


Hopefully this will be enough to last me the week. I've also got some leftover food from the previous two weeks:

4 potatoes
2 carrots
a small piece of swede
some frozen vegetables
some frozen sweetcorn
half a pack of rice
a handful of red split lentils
a small handful of yellow split peas
a quarter of a tin of green peas
1 onion
most of a bulb of garlic
half a box of bouillon
a third of a tube of tomato purée
a third of a bag of spinach leaves

I reckon I should be ok with this.

Today started with a juicy apple, I've been dreaming about apples for the past two weeks, and today I finally had one. Luckily I was at work and had only brought the one, or I could have eaten the whole lot. Lunch was the rest of yesterday's leftover lunch (rice and lentils with spinach and tomatoes), and then I also had an afternoon snack; a banana.


Dinner today was a warm and cold mixed salad. I used two handfuls of spinach, some of a red pepper, half an avocado and three tomatoes. I also boiled two potatoes and some lentils which I mixed with the cold ingredients once they were cooked. It was both filling and tasty, and all I lacked was some olive oil to drizzle over (far too expensive) and a glass of wine to go with it (completely out of the question on my current budget).

If you would like to help by sponsoring the clean water project in Meru, Kenya, please go to  http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=stopcocks

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised the boredom is getting to you Ulla, I wouldn't have lasted this long.
    Fresh foods are the answer!
    Enjoy :)
    BTW make sure you don't go short on protein now that the lentils rice and split peas are running low

    ReplyDelete